1/3 Examination pretest
CIRCLE THE NUMBER NEXT TO THE BEST ANSWER TO THE QUESTION, OR FILL IN THE BLANKWhich scale of measurement -- (1) nominal, (2) ordinal, or (3) interval/ratio -- applies to the following political data?
- 1. _____ The ethnicity of voters
- 2. _____ Citizens' ratings of Bill Clinton's performance in the presidency
- 3. _____ Median income per capita
- 4. Which statistic is most useful for measuring dispersion in nominal data?
- 1- index of variation
4- standard deviation
- 5. In a unimodal, negatively-skewed distribution, the mean stands (HINT: Sketch the distribution)
- 1- to the right of the mode
2- to the left of both the median and the mode
3- between the median and the mode
4- to the right of the median
- 6. Which of the following measures of central tendency is most appropriate for nominal data?
- 1- mode
- 7. Briefly explain the purpose of the Open > Data option on the SPSS 10 Menu Bar:
- 8. Describe the difference between Data View and Variable View in the SPSS Data Editor.
- 9. Distinguish between *.sav and *.por files in SPSS.
- 10. If you wanted to compute a new variable (or recompute the values of an existing variable), where would you go in the SPSS menu bar?
- 1- Data
- 2- Transform
- 3- Analyze
- 4- Utilities
11. Describe the differences among these SPSS terms: Variable Name, Variable Label, and Value Label.
For these data (2,3,1,5,4) compute the values requested in questions 12 & 13. Show your computations in the space on this page.
X mean X-mean (X-mean)2 _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _12. = ________ 13. = _______
14. Granted that correlational analysis and regression analysis are related, briefly state how they differ--i.e., what does each technique reveal? 15. Which of these is the formula or term for covariation?
- 16 The regression equation predicting the percent of states' votes for President Reagan in 1984 is
- Reagan84 = 14.9 + .88Reagan80
- Use this equation to predict Reagan's vote in 1984 from a state that voted 52% for Reagan in 1980.
17. You know that the correlation coefficient between the states' votes for Reagan in 1980 and 1984 is r= .90. Describe in words the strength of this correlation.
18. Standard deviation is one concept in statistics that can only be defined through its formula. State that formula.
19. Expressing your answer to two decimal places, what proportion of the cases in a normal distribution lie between plus and minus one standard deviation?
20. Which of these statistics is not used in evaluating whether a data distribution fits the normal distribution?
- 1- standard deviation
- 2- skewness
- 3- kurtosis
- 4- intercept